"…You Got To Get Over…Gotta Try…”
Still only 23 when she released this vinyl gem (her 3rd album for Prestige since 1974), “Shout It Out” has long been a hugely sought-after jazz-funk and fusion piece - and this 2009 remastered reissue by Soul Brother Records of the UK does that rarity proud.
CD SBCS 37 is part of their “Classic Soul” and “Pure Jazz” reissue series and is the first appearance of the album on CD anywhere (there’s a vinyl version too - LP SBCS 37 – a limited edition).
The 8-page inlay has affectionate and informative liner notes by LAURENCE PRANGELI and track-by-track session details.
Remastered from the original master tapes (licensed from another top reissue label – Ace Records of the UK), the result is stupendous – loud, clear and as funky as James Brown’s sock drawer. The sound throughout is wonderful – incredibly clean.
Originally released on LP in the USA on Prestige P 10101 in 1977, this fully remastered CD (43:47 minutes) also tags on the rare 7” single edit of “Let Your Heart Be Free” as a bonus track (it was issued on Prestige P-766 in the same year).
Featuring top musicians like AL McKAY on Guitar, CHARLES MEEKS on Bass and BILL SUMMERS on Percussion and a host of other great session-men - the album is in fact more notable for Patrice’s own astonishing playing. She was blisteringly good on everything - Electric Piano, Clavinet, Mini Moog and even Electric Bass.
There’s some vocals on the fantastically funky opener “The Hump” (lyrics above) and “Let Your Heart Be Free”, but mostly it’s all fusion instrumentals – fast and funky one moment - “Roll With The Punches” - soulful and jazzy and almost Bacharach the next – “Stepping Stones”. It all leads up to the big finisher “Sojourn” which is magnificent – sort of what a great Santana track should sound like.
A great job done – and kudos to the guys at SB for the truly superb remaster quality.
PS: other titles by Soul Brother include…
1. Anthology - GARY BARTZ (CD SBPJ 23)
2. Hell Of An Act To Follow/Bobo - WILLIE BOBO [2LPs on 1CD] (CD SBPJ 39)
3. Gambler’s Life - JOHNNY HAMMOND (SMITH) (CD SBCS 9)
4. Anthology - EDDIE HENDERSON (CD SBPJ 3)
5. Anthology – The Soul Jazz And Fusion Years 1966-1982 - FREDDIE HUBBARD
(2CD set on CD SBPJ 10)
6. Rhythm Of Life - JAMES MASON (CD SBCS 3)
7. See The Light/Take A Look At Yourself - EDDIE RUSS [2LPs on 1CD] (CD SBPJ 37)
8. Fusion With Attitude – VARIOUS (CD SBPJ 28)
9. Now That I’ve Got Your Attention - LESETTE WILSON (CD SBCS 16)