Welcome to Mark Barry's Review Blog - SOUNDS GOOD, LOOKS GOOD. It features in-depth reviews for Quality CD Reissues/Remasters - all with Discography Info (Amazon UK Top 10 Reviewer).
With over 1600 posts - genres covered include Rock, Pop, Soul, Funk, Jazz Fusion, Blues, Rhythm 'n' Blues, Doo Wop, Vocal Groups, 1960s and 1970s, Prog, Psych, Punk, New Wave, Reggae and more. I also extensively review Blu Rays issues for Modern and Classic Movies.
Rants, Raves and High Geekery.
Monday, 26 June 2017
"1960s and 1970s MUSIC ON CD Exceptional Remasters - Volume 3 of 3" by MARK BARRY (2017 Music Reference E-Book With Over 1,300 E-Pages Of Reliable Info)
The SOUNDS GOOD Music Books Series
1960s and 1970s MUSIC ON CD - Volume 3 of 3
Exceptional Remasters... Including 1960s and 1970s ROCK and POP FOLK, FOLK ROCK, COUNTRY ROCK, AMERICANA PSYCH, UNDERGROUND and AVANT GARDE BLUES ROCK and PROG ROCK
* Over 1,300 E-pages of information covering 230 in-depth reviews of CD reissues spanning 1990 to 2017
* Formats included - CD, SACD [Super Audio CD], HDCD [High Density Compatible Digital], Japan SHM-CD and Japan Platinum SHM-CD [Super High Materials]
* Major Label Box Set Retrospectives from – EMI, Sony/Legacy, Universal and WEA
* Best Independent Reissue Labels highlighted...
– Ace, Audio Fidelity, Bear Family, Beats Goes On, Big Break Records (BBR), Edsel, Esoteric Recordings, Grapefruit, Hip-O Select, Light In The Attic, Mobile Fidelity, Music On CD, Raven, Repertoire, Rev-Ola, Rhino, The Right Stuff, Salvo, Sundazed and Panegyric
* Technical data from the discs themselves (total playing times and more)
* Release Date, Catalogue No and Barcode to locate the correct issue
* Track lists and Details on Bonus material (if any)
* Vinyl Discographies referencing CD Box sets (track numbers to sequence singles and albums from the discs)
* UK and US catalogue numbers and release dates for original vinyl albums, 7” singles and EPs within each review
* Remaster/Tape Transfer Engineers highlighted
* Packaging descriptions, size of booklets, what’s contained within, who wrote the liner notes, repro artwork explained
* Reference to the Audio Quality of the CD - analysis of songs
Having worked for RECKLESS RECORDS in London for over 20 years as one of their principal Vinyl and CD buyers (one of the best secondhand record shops in the West End) and having over 3620 posts (CDs, DVDs, BLU RAYs) - as you can imagine I come across a huge number of reissues - some far more worthy than others.
To that end I've collated together these SOUNDS GOOD books as guides to Exceptional CD Remasters offering up in-depth reviews on a wide range of titles. And it no longer has to cost the earth to Sound Good either – you just need to know which CD is the right issue to buy. Many entries in this large and unique book cost less than £10 while others are under a fiver. And even if some Box Sets/Deletions have acquired a price tag - because they’re the best I’ve included them along with artists/titles that deserve your attention…